Old 11-10-2010, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Leeks

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Have yours been getting enough water?

Yes they have and with the persistant rain we have had for the
:last
month or 2 part of my garden is waterlogged.
Its been a difficult year all in all dont you think?

Actually, we;'ve had a remarkable amount of success this year.

The potatoes are coming up ok, not as many as usual, but the ones we
have seem quite good.
Brassicas (other than the broccoli which all died and the cauliflowers
which all turned out to be cabbages) are doing better than ever -
never had proper full headed cabbages without the munching
caterpillars before, but these are all doing great despite the fleece
not surviving long. Pumpkins have all been harvested and brought in to
harden up. Beans did ... ok. Only half had a trench dug, and they
came early and finished early, then the half without the trench came
good, so it all worked out really well! Picked what I suspect was the
last handful last night, although there are still a couple of flowers.
Berries did excellently, although strawberry season may have been
shorter than normal. No second flush of strawberries to speak of,
though, which is a shame.
Onions and garlic all did well.
Oh, the sweetcorn was terrible this year, actually. Only got to about
4' tall, and the cobs didn't mature well. That was probably lack of
water at a critical time.
Peas did really well except we forgot to pick them. :-(
Courgettes have been totally mental.
Tomatoes in the greenhouse and in outdoor baskets all excellent.

Only failures - butternut squash all died off, broccoli all died and
the sweetcorn didn't work well. And the greenhouse melons didn't put
out female flowers until it was too late, so no idea what happened
there. In fact, about to start a new thread ...

Oh yes you have had a wonderful year, and as all of us you have had a few
failures, but not many.
Similar story here but the broccoli was a bumper crop (as were all
brassicas). Wonder why yours died?

Biggest success this year in our garden were broad beans, peas and
outdoor tomatoes.

Failures were runner beans, sweetcorn, beetroot and greenhouse tomatoes.
Oh and leeks, but time will tell.

Dont know how the autumn digging is going to go because of all the water
at the bottom of the garden, its a bit scary never had so much since we
moved here 9 years ago, bearing mind that the hosepipe had to be used in
May, June and July if I remember correctly.

Baz