Old 11-10-2010, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Leeks

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote
I grew my Musselburgh leeks from seed then planted them out in June.
They are still only pencil size.
This is my first attempt growing leeks and feel they should be much
bigger.
They are in the middle of a now bare patch which I had onions and
garlic and I am digging around them for next years sowing or planting
of brassicas.

Question is should I dig them up to save digging around them if they
are not going to come to anything?

If they look healthy and are slowly growing don't worry. Ours are not
much bigger this year, goodness knows why, but they will get big
enough to crop eventually.
Incidentally, we plant out leeks where the Allium bed is going to be
the next season so by the time they are getting big they are in the
right place if you see what I mean.

Yes Bob I think I know what you mean.
I have put them where the existing Allium bed is.
Next year I should put them where the NEXT Allium bed is going to be.

Makes alot of sense when you think how long a growing period leeks take to
mature.
Thanks for that, its easy when you know how, if I understood right.

Thankyou
Baz