Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Leeks

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Similar story here but the broccoli was a bumper crop (as were all
brassicas). Wonder why yours died?

Weak plants and not enough water when they were young, I think.

Biggest success this year in our garden were broad beans, peas and
outdoor tomatoes.

Oh yes, my broad beans did well. Annoyingly, my overwintering broad
beans are now in flower! :-(
Guess I did them too ealry;. Wonder if there are any pollinators out
there?

I am beginning to think they are not worth sowing in autumn.
Over the past few years the pods only have 2 or 3 if any beans inside them.

Failures were runner beans, sweetcorn, beetroot and greenhouse
tomatoes.

What happened to your tomatoes?

Dont know how the autumn digging is going to go because of all the
water at the bottom of the garden, its a bit scary never had so much
since we moved here 9 years ago, bearing mind that the hosepipe had
to be used in May, June and July if I remember correctly.

Was digging potatoes yesterday, the soil is excellent for digging atm.
Got mine out just in time.

Dug ours just in time too

To answer your q about the tomatoes in the greenhouse.
They just dropped off the trusses onto the ground in the green stage.
Everything looked ok. but when they were heavy enough just dropped.
Gardeners Delight they were.
I grew the same variety outdoors and they have been wonderful.