View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old 11-10-2010, 05:43 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2006
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
In general magnolias require very little attention once established in the ground. This is a deciduous magnolia with large leaves and large flowers, and general advice for deciduous magnolias applies.

Plant it in a location of full sun to partial shade. As it is a very large leaf type, it will prefer a wind-protected location. Does best in well-drained but moist soil, with plenty of organic matter in the soil, and ideally slightly acidic soil. So if you can improve the ground in that direction, all the better, but at the end of the day they will grow in conditions substantially different from ideal, just not necessarily as fast or be as floriferous. Provided your ground is not very poorly drained, dig a much bigger hole than the pot it is currently in, discard any large stones, mix the soil with nice stuff like compost, some slow release fertiliser suitable for rhododendrons, some grit or perlite for drainage, and plant it in that - it will at least give it a good start in life to become established there. They don't like root disturbance, so don't muck around teasing out the roots as as you would for other container grown shrubs. Keep it watered during the growing season until established. Can be pruned to shape while dormant in the winter. Will benefit from being fertilised.
hi, do i also need to check the ph of the soil before planting? as i have seen that a ph of 6 is the rule? also do i just use the slow release fertiliser for rhodendrones ? and not the normal garden slow release fertiliser?, one or both slow fertilisers.thanks again for all help.