Old 11-10-2010, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Feeding the brids

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

Collared doves, chaffinches?

Our collared doves and chaffinches are up there on the table tossing
seed to the ground to pick over later; I reckon they've worked out that
once it's on the ground , tits won't compete.

I tried the "no mess" feed, but didn't find it any different in terms of
what was left behind.

AIUI "No mess" usually refers to seed that is all-edible and has been
husked, so nothing is wasted.

I thought it referred to no seeds dropping and germinating in the soil.

If you feed entire sunflower seeds the bird will de-husk them and
discard the skins (that's about half the weight of the seed you bought
priced per pound) and nothing eats the husks.

Janet

I use "hulled" sunflower seed, (sunflower hearts?), but somehow the
goldfinches manage to leave husks behind on a tray feeder.

The tits are more tidy, because they pick off a seed and fly to a bush
or tree to munch each one. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply