Old 11-10-2010, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Would this composting idea give me problems?

In message , Baz
writes

Not taking the p*ss here Martin but how do you get away with burning?

If I have my lighter too high for my ciggies I could be fined or worse.

Baz

The last thing I burned in my garden was a pampas grass plant which was
getting large enough to overpower me. I took the precaution of
having a hosepipe to hand, and gave the nearby fence a good soaking, but
until the fire brigade arrived at my door I was unaware that the intense
heat was starting to burn a hole in the fence, which I couldn't see.

A well meaning neighbour could see the fence burning, but couldn't see
me, so instead of telling me she called the fire brigade!

They were satisfied that I had things under control (?), but warned me
about thoroughly soaking down the pampas stump before leaving it.

That stump crumbled away to a nice loamy mulch the following year.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply