Old 11-10-2010, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Would this composting idea give me problems?

In message , David in
Normandy writes
On 11/10/2010 17:35, Gordon H wrote:

The last thing I burned in my garden was a pampas grass plant which was
getting large enough to overpower me....

That stump crumbled away to a nice loamy mulch the following year.

So did the fire kill the pampas grass? I thought some people burned the
dead foliage off anyway on those to just clean them up rather than kill
them?

I helped it by spraying it with weed killer a week or so earlier, but
yes, the dead stuff went up like a torch, alarmingly so! No
appreciable smoke, but it took nearly all the green stuff with it.

I've got a couple of large clumps of it myself and was pondering if a
match sometime over Winter might clean them up. The dead stems are a
pain to trim by hand and they are very sharp on bare skin.

It's nasty stuff to handle, but provides some Autumn/Winter decoration
and screens off what used to be the vegetable plot, I still have one
plant further from the fence. We bought two in 3" pots after our first
holiday abroad, and lived to regret it eventually.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply