Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Trees and herbs together

"Sally Green" wrote in message
I have two raised beds beside a sheltered south facing wall and I
intend to put a cherry tree in one and a morello cherry tree in the
other. Both will be on dwarfing stock and will grow to be 2ft wide and
8ft high. The beds are both about 80cm by 100cm and about 50cm deep.

Two questions:

I would prefer to plant the trees into the raised bed so about 40cm
above ground level. In this case I expect the roots will be above
ground level too at least to begin with. Will this be OK? The trees
will be bare rooted and I think maiden trees and not due to arrive
until winter.

I would like to plant annual herbs by the trees; probably dill and
basil. Would this cause any problems for the trees? Regular watering
is not a problem

What rootstock will they be on, Gisela 5?
If so who has said they will be restricted to those measurements?
I ask as I'm going to but two cherry trees this winter and on Gisela 5 but
understood they might be restricted to about 8ft tall but eventually about
the same width.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden