Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Would this composting idea give me problems?

Martin Brown wrote in
news

If you stack it in heaps about 2m on a side and keep damp then it
won't matter too much - the stuff will quickly heat up internally and
rot down. I would not spread the stuff around without first composting
it. Both ivy and bramble will regrow from fairly small pieces.

Are you sure you want to move this sort of bulk material around? Might
be a lot easier to compost it in situ (or burn) and take the ash as
fertiliser. Clearing bramble, nettle, ivy scrubland I tend to favour a
hit of glyphosate followed a few weeks later by torching it when
tinder dry (putting in appropriate fire breaks). Ivy being so waxy
survives glyphosate but it doesn't last long in a fire.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks to all. Unfortunately I can't have a fire where the brambles and ivy
are groeing. The overgrown yard is surrounded by buildings. I'll have to
cart the stuff away and either compost it or burn it on my own property
which is more rural - or I could dump the lot at the council tip which is
nearer to the yard. Shredding it would make it easier to cart away. It
means I can cart it all away in perhaps three vanloads insted of ten (I'm
guessing).

Al