Old 13-10-2010, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default Salad all summer.

"Dan L" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote:
Is it possible to have lettuce all summer. Not all at once like I
got .
Around may or June . until it bolted.

Yes, stagger your planting times for the head and leaf lettuces.
For the leaf lettuces one can tear off leaves as needed. Leaf lettuces
can go from seed to plate in about 30 days and the leaf lettuces tend
expire after 60 days.

Head lettuces take most of the summer to grow. For me when the leaf
lettuces come to an end, the head lettuces start to come in for a change
of taste at the end of summer and fall months. One can get two harvest
from each plant. Do not harvest the whole plant, cut the head inside of
the plant and on the small side instead of letting them get large and a
new head will start to grow for a second harvest. (my preference, others
here may have a different view).

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

There's my problem. I planted all leaf lettuce . It was awesome for about a
month.

I knew I had lettuce all summer gardening before.

Thank YOU!!!!!!

I'm in Ohio, Great lakes . Suppose im 5 or 6.