Old 13-10-2010, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mark mark is offline

Default Enabling a garden bonfire

"john hamilton" wrote in message
A neighbour has recently had a lot of shrubs and laurel cut down. The
intention is to burn it.

Not wishing to buy a dustbin incinerator for what would be a kind of one
off job, does anyone have any ideas on how to make a simple kind
incinerator/grill (the basic idea i suppose is to get the air in
underneath) thing to make the bonfire burn better.

He has some spare concrete paving bricks as a starter. Any suggestions?

Probably best to leave it a month or more then light it when there hasn't
been rain for 2 or 3 days. If you do it too soon the leaves flare off and
that's about it. I tunnel into the bonfire heap a little, place a heap of
scrunched up newspaper and then on that, as much as I can round up small
timber pieces, chipboard etc.

mark