Old 13-10-2010, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Stihl garden power tools ?

On 12 Oct, 20:31, Hugh Jampton wrote:
Thanks for the replies Folks - very helpful !

Looks like I'm going for a Stihl.

We have a *big* garden (Split into 2 - My wife and I each have our own
section :-) with a couple of hundred yards of hedges. Think my wife will
get another Bosch cordless because of the light weight - the Stihl would be
too heavy for her (we are no longer young). I'll be going for a Stihl
cordless. The specifications look good - 2.2 Ah Li-Ion.

I've been using a mains powered Viking hedge trimmer (very good) but the
hassle of extension leads for getting on for a hundred yards was getting me
down :-(

I use a petrol powered Honda rotovator and a petrol Allen shredder - no
problems - I somehow just don't fancy a petrol hedge trimmer. Up on a high
platform, I think I'd have to keep turning it off while I rake the cuttings
from the top of our very wide hedges - or could I just keep it running ?

I have a Ryobi petrol brushcutter which came with a hedge trimming
attachment - no problems using it when I can start it but it's almost
impossible to start (been discussed in here before). Hardly ever use it
these days.

Thanks again Folks :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Modern petrol hedge cutters tick over nicely with the blades
stationary. Don't be tempted by yard long cutters, they are badly
balanced & too heavy (for me anyway)
60cm is plenty - you have more dexterity and work almost as quickly
and a lot easier.

Rod