Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
chet

Default Clear slime?

I may be off-base here, but what you are describing sounds like what
goldfish and koi keepers refer to as Bio-Slime. It is a build-up of
denitrifying bacteria. If we are talking about the same stuff, it is a good
thing. The bacteria converts Ammonia to Nitrate. It will accumulate on any
surface that has adequate oxygen and nutrients.

We try to grow the stuff.

chet

"SLEngst" wrote in message
I've found articles on green slime, red slime, blue-green slime but

nothing on
a clear type of slime which has occasionally shown up in two of my tanks.

can reduce it with consecutivel water changes but this doesn't appear to

ensure
that it won't reappear. The fishvet.com site advertises a product to

eliminate
"slime" but I'm not really sure what the clear mucous material I

occasional see
is. Can anyone identify it?

Thanks in advance,