Old 13-10-2010, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Hedgehog. A tale of woe.

"Bill Grey" wrote in
:

"Jake" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:10:57 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

Why didn't Baz inform the RSPCA om Tuedsay that the hedgehog had died
in which case they would not have need to turn up on Wednesday.

Why waste a phone call - there had already been a couple to the
RSPCA. If the RSPCA cared about an animal in potential agony, why
didn't they contact Baz to say they could not attend and that he
should put it out of its misery so that they could raise money by
prosecuting him for that.

Once I rang the RSPCA for advice on treating a large bird (don't know
what it was) I'd found injured in the garden. I think it might have
been a buzzard or sommat similar but it was docile as anything. Their
advice line couldn't give any advice and I was told to ring a vet the
next day. But would I like to make a donation to the (hung up). Bird
died.

Another time I rang them to seek help with an injured dog I had found
on a roadside miles from anywhere. Was told there were no inspectors
in the area I was phoning from but would I like to provide my card
details so that they could take a donation. I think I swore!

Having hung up, I phoned Maureen and got the number of a (fairly)
nearby vet. Spoke to them and someone arrived within half an hour.
They thought the dog could be treated and so took it away in their
van. I got a phone call a few days later to say that the dog was
recovering and was going to the Dogs Trust for convalescence and
possible homing. I now "sponsor a dog" but will never donate to
RSPCA.

That's your prerogative, I'm not flying the flag for the RSPCA, just
looking at the problem from a different direction.
Well done for sponsering a dog.

Perhaps someone here knows differently, but as far as I know the
situation, RSPCA Inspectors are /very/thin on the ground and each has
a huge area to cover.

Bill

I think thats the point.
For the money they get from donations there should be more operators so
they arent thin on the ground and have a smaller area to cover.
But that is not the case as I have found.
They have failed to fulfill their promise.At least to me and the
unfortunate creature which once lived in my garden.