Old 14-10-2010, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Larry Stoter[_2_] Larry Stoter[_2_] is offline

Default Cat Scarers

Baz wrote:

Thinking about getting a cat scarer, the ones that emit a sound inaudible
to us, but which cats can hear.
Have any of you had one? Do they work?

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/cat...llers-10-c.asp

And no I dont have a gun.

Thanks in advance
Baz

A somewhat iffy address but I'll I'll assume you are genuine ....

I have bought 2 static plus a hand-held ultrasonic cat "scarers".

They do seem to work - we haven't had much cat activity in the garden
for some time. A couple of observations:

1. If battery powered, you do need to make sure to replace the batteries
:-)

2. They are directional - make sure they point in the right direction!

3. Moggies aren't entirely stupid - they do learn. So, if your local
moggies have multiple access routes and options for wandering through
your garden, then you need to move the cat scarers every month or so.

4. Our garden is very enclosed, with fences, rambling roses, shrubs,
etc. There are very few routes for moggies into the garden. In these
circumstances, I think the scarers work pretty well. If your
garden/allotment has more open access then I guess it will be more
difficult - you'll need more scarers and need to move them around more.

5. I bought the first one from the RSPB - a bit pricey but seems to
work. I bought a 2nd static plus a handheld on-line (not the site to
which you refer and I entirely agree with your attitude to the poster on
that site - stuff him!). Can't remember who but I think it was the same
company who supply RSPB but bought direct.

6. Many white cats are congenitally (?) deaf (which shows that many cat
breeders know as much about breeding cats as Crufts and dog breeders
know about breeding dogs). If your particular problem is a white moggy,
you may find that ultrasonic scarers don't work ....

7. The hand-held ones are quite useful if a moggy makes if past the
static scarers and you spot it. Most leave very rapidlly :-)

Larry