Old 15-10-2010, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Hedgehog. A tale of woe.

In message , Bill Grey
writes

On 2010-10-13 16:08:34 +0100, Baz said:

A few days ago I decided to turn over some copost, a job I hate but we
have
to do it.

On Saturday one of my neighbours asked me to temporarily move the heap so
he could have sone elbow room to point up his garage, guess what I did.
Stabbed a hedgehog behind its front leg with my fork.

I thought it too early for hibernation in mid October.

Anyway we all panicked a bit and daughter tried ringing her vet but its
Saturday afternoon and they are closed. Neighbours wife found a number
for
the RSPCA.
Monday daughter rings her vet because RSPCA has not shown and vet rings
RSPCA to find out when they will attend and they say "sometime today" so
no
need to get another vets bill.

Today is Wednesday and the RSPCA have graced us with their appearance.
Sadly he or she died and probably in great pain early on Tuesday morning.

He tried to bollo*k us for wasting his time for christs sake.

If my daughter was not so small he would have had one on the chin.

I've experienced similar dilatoriness and overall lack of any sense of
urgency. It ensures that I will never give another penny piece to the
RSPCA. I very much hope you're going to report this to their HQ.

Why didn't Baz inform the RSPCA om Tuedsay that the hedgehog had died in
which case they would not have need to turn up on Wednesday.

They had probably given up on the RSPCA attending. Why did the RSPCA not
phone to say they couldn't attend in a suitable timescale?

Bill,
PS Strange that this thread which really has no basis in gardening
receives such attention while a another thread asking for advice on a
gardening question goes un-noticed?

Don't know what question you refer to,but presumably no one who read it
(not everyone will read every post, I have limited time for newsgroup
reading and so have to be selective in what I read) had a useful comment
to make Sometimes that haapens.
--
Chris French