Old 15-10-2010, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Hedgehog. A tale of woe.

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

A few days ago I decided to turn over some copost, a job I hate but we
have
to do it.

On Saturday one of my neighbours asked me to temporarily move the heap
so
he could have sone elbow room to point up his garage, guess what I did.
Stabbed a hedgehog behind its front leg with my fork.

I thought it too early for hibernation in mid October.

Anyway we all panicked a bit and daughter tried ringing her vet but its
Saturday afternoon and they are closed.

For future reference; vets don't just work their office hours.
If you telephone out of business hours your call will be transferred to
the on-call practice vet (or, the on-call locum service).

Janet

I was referred to an out-of-hours vet organisgation when my dog was ill.
He was being treated for epililesy and barbiturates were the medicine. He
had been given a dose of 2 tablets and I was charged £7. I could buy the
tablets for £5 per 100. A definite rip-off.

Did your dog live? If so, was it it a rip off for £7 out of hours?
If you thought your dog was dying and the vet could save it, how much
would you pay?
Tina

An innapropriate consideration. You seem to support emotional blackmail.
Whether or not my dog died is irrelevant. To pop two phenobarbitone tablets
in his mouth for £7 the cost of which would have been 2/100 x £5 (i.e. 10p)
is extortionate

As for being out of hours, the establishment was set up as such and no vet
was "called out" to treat him.

But you still had to pay for the vets time.(ok ,not much time I guess,
but I don't know what a vets hourly rate would be but 40-50/hour
wouldn't surprise me esp after hours. £7 wouldn't buy much of that

Just to put things into perspective, it costs far more to insure my labrador
that it costs to insure my Volvo V70. Emotional blackmail prevails.

Generally I consider pet insurance a waste of money. THe small amount of
time a pet is likley to need to see a vet,putting the money awayto help
self cover it makes more sense.
--
Chris French