Old 15-10-2010, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
MICHELLE H. MICHELLE H. is offline

Default "Old WivesTales" NOT Working For Skunk Control!! Home Depot Guy..

So I go to Home Depot to see if they have this stuff that I read about
called "Critter Ridder". It's made by some company called "Hav-A-Heart",
and it is supposed to be a pesticide-free way to keep all kinds of
wildlife out of your yard and garden. It comes in a blue bottle, and it
is suppose to repel dogs, cats, squirrels, skunks, raccoons, opossums,
etc, etc. from your yard and garden.

It is made up of a bunch of different strong smelling peppers that the
animals don't like to smell, like Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Red
Pepper, Hot Chile Pepper, etc, etc. All these hot and spicy peppers are
mixed together, and they put something on it, so that it's waterproof,
and it lasts for 30 days, so you don't have to worry about the rain
washing it away, or it washing away when you water your lawn and/or
garden.

Anyway, I didn't see it in the garden section of Home Depot, so I ask
the guy working there. He tells me that they "don't have any in stock".

I tell him that "I have a skunk destroying my yard every night".

He says "you got grubs".

I tell him "no, our grass is nice and Green ( grubs turn the grass
Yellow/Brown ), and we did a grub treatment back in July".

I tell him that "in the morning we are finding half eaten, dead
earthworms all over the yard".

He says "oh yeah, skunks will eat earthworms too, because they love
them!".

He then says "If you want to get rid of the skunk, then you have to get
rid of the earthworms".

HUH!!!!!!???? WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!?????? GET RID OF THE EARTHWORMS!!!!???

Oh my god, this guy is working in the freakin garden center at America's
biggest home improvement chain!!?? I felt like telling this guy that he
needs to either transfer to a DIFFERENT department, or he needs to go
back to school and retake Science class, because number #1 unless you
plan on pouring something like gasoline, nuclear, and toxic waste in
your yard, there is no way to kill every single earthworm, and number #2
earthworms are BENEFICIAL to the soil in your yard!!!! You WANT
earthworms in your lawn!!!!!!

Home Depot guy: "well if you want the skunks to stop digging up your
yard, YOU GOT TO GET RID OF THE EARTHWORMS".