Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
SLEngst

Default Clear slime?

I'll try again to describe the "clear slime". What I mean is, there is no
color such as blue, green or red. Its like a thick mucous blanket - where it's
really thick, the color would then, be toward white. But, initially, I didn't
notice it as it was pretty clear so indications were just that there was a
disruption of normal water motion. It got thick enough that it hung in long
globs from the tops of plants and I could grab quantities of it off the plants
by hand. The water surface got so it had a slimy consistency - but clear. It
was so bad, I eventually pulled all the plants and rinsed them and did multiple
water changes on the tank. Some stress on the fish. This was a tank that was
somewhat mistreated during the summmer. Regular water changes but not much
attention to the forest of plants and DYI CO2 bottles not changed at good
regularity, causing a rise in pH. Should note that the lighting is 3.8
watts/gal so loss of CO2 can have some consequences. Two other tanks have shown
minor signs of similar stuff, even with regular maintenance. In one of those
tanks I realized the CO2 system had failed, leaks around the glue to cap
surface. This will cause the pH to rise from 7.5 to 8.4. A couple water
changes seems to pretty much clear it up if I get right on it, and use the
python, with the faucet running to skim the stuff off the top.