Old 15-10-2010, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Cat Scarers

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Baz
wrote
Thinking about getting a cat scarer, the ones that emit a sound inaudible
to us, but which cats can hear.
Have any of you had one? Do they work?

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/cat...llers-10-c.asp

No they don't work. I had one with a PIR sensor and various sound
settings. Humans, depending on their age, can hear them starting up at
the beginning of the ultrasonic sound burst. Initially the local cats were
scared but within a week they got used to it and reverted back to their
old patterns. Even moving the device around a lot had no effect.

Local foxes were not scared by it at all. I could see that they were aware
of the device going off but apart from maybe a jump of a few feet they
carried on regardless.

And no I dont have a gun.

I believe that an effective deterrent is to put some food out laced with
some anti-freeze. Other than that a large store of stones to throw keeps
then on their toes.

Excuse my ignorance - but what effect does the anti-freeze have ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com