Old 15-10-2010, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Hedgehog. A tale of woe.

On 2010-10-15 10:14:38 +0100, "Bill Grey"
said:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
receives such attention while a another thread asking for advice on
gardening question goes un-noticed?

Maybe it didn't appear, or nobody knew the answer. This is a
discussion group, not an advice bureau.

This is a true statement according to the grop's charter however where
does
askin for advice and a discussion on the subect start and finish. Just
make my point on the question of this being a discussion group not an
advice
bureau , consider the number of questions that have been asked and
"duscussed" since the beining of this mont.

I list six - and there are more,........all questions!

"Opening Kilner jars"
"Potatoes"
"Fishtail" Camelia"
"Aristea"
"Carrots"
"Gay" feather"

I don't understand the reason for this list, Bill? We discuss a number
of
gardening subjects here and sometimes thread drift occurs. Or sometimes
people ask an OT question ecause they feel they 'know' members of this
group will be ablel to help. So, as the person who started the Fishtail
Camellia thread, I'm wondering what this is all about. It was a
reasonable
thread for a gardening group and it got some helpful replies - situation
normal! Are you trying to say people shouldn't ask questions that then
turn into discussions? As people have said, not every question gets an
answer because it may be that people don't have one!

www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Sacha, I have always respected your point of view epressed in your many
postings. What you've written above surprises me.

I was told quite categorically that this newsgroup was a discussion group
not an advice bureau. I took this to mean that as I had asked a question
and I was s out of order expecting a reply...see the quote in the earler
paragrah above.

If my question appeared to contradict the newgroup Charter then so did
the
six question above and so did the others I've not quoted . How would
you
have reacted to such a blunt statement as
I quote -

"This is a discussion group, not an advice bureau."

I am long accustomed to the manner of that particular poster!

Questions are frequently asked and discussed but when I ask a question ,
then get no reply and ask why, I get this harsh treatment.

That is not the treatment I expect from posters on this group.

BTW for Martin's sake I trust the above ansewers yur question

Bill

Nobody speaks for everyone else, you know! But FWIW I think there are
crossed wires here. It IS a discussion group and as a result people often
ask for, get and give advice. But what the Charter doesn't do is
*promise* that advice will be given or questions answered. You'll also see
conflicting opinions and the manner of expressing them can become a bit
heated! But on the whole, if you have a question someone can answer, I'm
sure they will. But you can't *expect* an answer to a post - either
there's nobody who knows the answer, or the subject doesn't interest
people. And again, FWIW, many people - if not most - have a very keen
interest on the wildlife that comes into their garden because there is a
valuable interaction between wildlife and garden pests, to say nothing of
the great pleasure we get from seeing the creatures.g.

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Thanks for your reply I understand the charter and I do not expect an
reply/answer to a posting.
I am generally very easy going but cannot fail to respond to the sort of
personal patronisation to which I've been exposed .

On reading some of my postings I've notices several typos. Thes are a result
of my not being very adept at typing on my laptop. I'm sure what I've wrtten
has ben understood or guessed correctly. I apologise for any apparent
spelling errors. They weren't errors when they left my brain but were in the
lap of the gods when they arrived at the keyboard

Bill