Old 15-10-2010, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Hedgehog. A tale of woe.

On 15/10/2010 17:16, Bill Grey wrote:
"Martin wrote in message
On 15/10/2010 15:08, Bill Grey wrote:
"Martin wrote in message

As a general rule you can prune most things after they have finished
flowering or in autumn. But it helps to know if they are eg tip bearing
fruit trees or pyracantha if you want decent fruit set next year. A few
things with a tendency to rot or fungal infection have to be done at
exactly the right time of year and/or weather conditions.

Ah so you did see my question! I I had taken the hup as you call it I would
have raied the poit earlier

Only after I knew that you started the thread and it was fairly recent.

Sambucus is pretty much a rampant weed unless it is the black cultivar.
I'd say inadvisable to grow the wild form in a small garden.

Thank you the pruning advice, see how easy it is to respond to a simple
question?

If you take this sort of condescending attitude to help when it is given
then you will quickly find yourself in my kill file.

Just for the record mine is the Sambucus nigra (Black Lace) which I believe
is a relative of the Elderberry. From you advice above, I take I can now
trim back my Photinia.

I don't know anything about pruning Photinia specifically that is why I
didn't answer it originally. And you should be more patient - there are
plenty of people who only post here at weekends.

Threads are either interesting or not - yours wasn't.

Regards,
Martin Brown