Old 15-10-2010, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Cat Scarers

"Sacha" wrote in message

We don't grow strawberries ourselves except for the occasional fraises de
bois found lurking somewhere. But the blackbirds do seem to like having a
go at the greenouse tomatoes. I don't begrudge them but I do wish they'd
take one, eat it and be done with that, rather than pecking holes in
others and then leaving them!

I have tried the sacrificial saucer technique for the toms - it has
definitely reduced
the number of pecked ones.

The later tom plantings are still flowering and fruiting in the (unheated)
greenhouse !

Looks like this weekend's predicted frosts may do for them though (:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com