Old 16-10-2010, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default overwintering Pelargoniums

On 16/10/2010 08:04, Bob Hobden wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote
Now that I've got a nice dry shed, I'm going to try the wrapping in
newspaper method this winter, but can it really be true that
pelargoniums require neither light nor water for a whole 6 months? Why
don't they just shrivel up and die?

They come from South Africa and get periods of hot/dry weather.
Personally I would leave them in their pots (provided there are no vine
weevil) and simply place the pots on their side covered in newspaper so
it's easier to check to see if any are rotting. Even if the plant dies
back the roots will often still produce new growth.
Better still to put them on a frost free windowsill and water lightly
only when they ask for it (slight wilting).

Alas I don't have the space to do either of those things, but the shed
is in a sheltered position and, at least for now, is bone dry.