Old 16-10-2010, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default sweet potato

Stephen wrote:
I bought the pack of sweet potato slips from T&M. The instructions say
you harvest any time between the end of September and end of October,
so that they are lifted before the frosts. Sadly I haven't had much
success. I wondered how everyone else did?

Ours are still in the ground, probably about time to bring them up, I guess.
They are still growing quite well (as of last week, anyhow - not checked yet
today!) - will report back later!

Two died pretty soon after planting; the other eight grew, but not to
the extent the leaflet suggested they would. The leaflet spoke of
trailing foliage and flowers. I didn't see any flowers and the foliage
whilst tit has grown, it hasn't gone crazy. It was planted in well
draining soil with rotted compost, as advised, so I am at a loss what
went wrong.

Last year ours did quite badly, with not many tubers, but the ones we got
weren't as small as yours.

This year our plants have done brilliantly. That doesn't mean there will be
anything underneath, but they look /really/ good. If I get hte chance I
will get a photo before we dig them up (assuming they haven't died in the
last week)

We did get flowers, pink ones, like bindweed or morning glory flowers.