Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Haywire

Default Optimum lighting for 60"x18"x18" system?

Hoa!

great site, I've been using that for reference for months now, and of course
post it as required

thanks for the info.

wrote in message ...
Max,

I discuss different tubes, the effect of CRI and Kelvin temperatures, and

gave
suggestions on my web site. See the Fluorescent Light Comparison page,

and
also the Notes, Tech, and FAQ pages.

Good luck,

Hoa
Planted Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/nguyenhg/

In article , Max
writes:
Hi Everyone

Help! Despite loads of research, I'm still not sure what spec tubes I

should
be using on my new tank. It has an IC controlled, pressurised CO2

injected
system, substrate heating and filtered by a sump with integral trickle

tower
(36" x 18" x 18", only one third full during normal use, though, I hope!
I've yet to add water!), I plan to use 4 to 6, 60" T8 tubes with

reflectors.
I think I prefer the full length coverage offered by the T8's, rather

than
going for the compact flourescents. However, I can't decide which tubes I
should be using. Full spectrum, daylight or what? Is there any need to be
overdriving them with higher rated ballasts? Can any of you guys suggest
manufacturers and part numbers? I have access to an electrical wholesaler
here in the UK. I don't see the point in paying over the odds at the LFS

for
aquarium branded tubes. My main confusion lies around Kelvin output and

CRI
ratings and what's best for a planted tank. I'd like to be able to grow a
selection of
low to high light requiring plants. There's loads of info on the web

about
the different ratings of flourescent tubes but nobody names specific ones

use for planted aquaria. Perhaps I should mix tubes of various
specifications. If you've had success with particular tubes I'd love to
know. I apologise if this info has been posted previously, but I'm sure
there's others out there who'd love your input too! All suggestions
gratefully received!

Thanks in anticipation

Max
Max's Discus Page
http://freespace.virgin.net/m.pickering

eb -----
http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+

groups
NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email