Old 16-10-2010, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default sweet potato

"shazzbat" wrote ...
wrote ...
Stephen wrote:

I bought the pack of sweet potato slips from T&M. ...

You've been had.

The sweet potatoes are the size of a pod of peas; far too tiny to eat!
Did I do something wrong or has this just been a bad year for them?
How did everyone else do?

They're true tropical plants. With CONSIDERABLE care, and growing
them under protection, some people have got a crop. Otherwise,
don't bother.

What Nick said. We grew them once since we were given a couple of slips,
but we're very close to the south coast, and it was a hot summer that
year. Even so, we only got two big ones and half a dozen tiddlers.

I also agree with Nick.

We tried for a few years and never got a worthwhile crop, those that did
grow had slug holes all over them anyway. We even tried using our own tubers
to make slips very early for the next season, an easy process BTW, and
potted them up in our heated greenhouse until time to plant out yet they too
didn't produce any worthwhile crop. Lots of foliage such that other plot
holders thought I was growing convolvulus from Hell, it ran everywhere, but
nothing to eat.

I think a heated greenhouse to start them off early, and a large Polytunnel
for growing are needed, at least in the UK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden