Old 17-10-2010, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Happy Chickens

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
What are you using against red mite?

Well, to start with we used the red mite powder (which was vile, and
I could
smell it everywhere!). Then Nick steam cleaned the nest box, which
got rid
for a while, but then they came back.

Since then there have been peripheral things done - wiping out
patches of them when found, adding extra garlic to their water, etc,
but I have nagged
him to steam clean them again, etc, and he hasn't.

It's possible he's been doing something else for them which I've
forgotten or don't know about, but as far as I know, he's not done
anything recently that could have got rid of them, hence assuming it
must be the weather.

I have none now because I sprayed 50/50 Dettol solution into every
crevice every week x 6. That did for the little blighters

We used 20% Dettol(bought a cheaper brand actually) to 80% water once this
year in March and the mite has gone and not returned.
Red mite powder makes me baulk!
We only have 6 chickens all hens(or layers or pullets or whatever yo want
to call them)Rhode Island Red.
(Our resident nym shifter Pete will no doubt be pulling me for my spelling)
They give us at least 4 huge eggs per day so I think they are a fairly
happy brood.
I am told that as the birds get older they give a smaller egg and fewer
too.
Can we use the oldies for the table and get new young ones? Or have I got
the wrong end of the stick.

Baz