Old 17-10-2010, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Trees and herbs together

Sally Green wrote:
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:27:07 +0100, Spider wrote:

If you wanted to grow something beneath the trees that would both cope
with the situation and be pretty in a different season, you could try
snowdrops, winter aconites, Anemone blanda, dwarf narcissi for the
spring and Cyclamen hederifolium for the autumn. For summer, you could
try Mecanopsis cambrica, which would be dainty but cheerful and cope
with the conditions. I have M. cambrica in my woodland garden.
I know these aren't edible plants, but they would still be a good use of
the ground.

Hi Spider

Great minds think alike! There is an established pear tree in a third
bed which is more visible from the window and I am planning to plant
around that one with snowdrops, winter aconites, dwarf narcissi,
primrose and cyclamen hederifolia all of which I have been collecting
together from elsewhere in the garden. I will add anemone blanda and
particularly mecanopsis cambrica to the list as I have not decided
what to do there in summer.

Fritillaries might do quite well, and if you can keep it in check,
ramsons. (Allium ursinum - which my Concise British Flora misnames
'ransoms'.)

Just learnt that 'ramsons is a double plural - the correct plural being
'ramson' (or more likely, 'ramsen' - Ed) - the singular being 'ram'.
(Chambers)

--
Rusty