Old 17-10-2010, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default sweet potato

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I bought the pack of sweet potato slips from T&M. The instructions say
you harvest any time between the end of September and end of October,
so that they are lifted before the frosts. Sadly I haven't had much
success. I wondered how everyone else did?

Two died pretty soon after planting; the other eight grew, but not to
the extent the leaflet suggested they would. The leaflet spoke of
trailing foliage and flowers. I didn't see any flowers and the foliage
whilst tit has grown, it hasn't gone crazy. It was planted in well
draining soil with rotted compost, as advised, so I am at a loss what
went wrong.

The sweet potatoes are the size of a pod of peas; far too tiny to eat!
Did I do something wrong or has this just been a bad year for them?
How did everyone else do?

You need to plant them early, and in a sunny position, preferably in a
sheltered spot.

They like plenty of water and feeding helps a lot.

Mine are in a planter, and I will leave them there for a second year.

Try eddoes - they are much more productive, and the leaves are edible as
well as the tubers.

Oh, and next time, buy a couple of sweet potatoes which are sprouting
and cut your own slips - I've never bought slips.

--
Rusty