Old 18-10-2010, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Bird Box Saga - The Final Chapter

In message ,
TheScullster writes

Just thought you guys might be interested to hear the outcome of an on-going
bird box saga.

About 3 months ago I went up the ladder to retrieve the box and fit the ply
faceplate. As soon as I disturbed the box, a loud buzzing sound prompted me
to abandon the re-furb rather hurriedly. Despite regular observation since,
I have not seen any insect activity around the box.
Yesterday, I plucked up courage to go back up the ladder. Having covered
the entrance hole with duct tape, I detached the birdbox and returned to
terra firma to investigate. As anticipated, there was a
fortunately-abandoned insect nest of some sort buried in the old bird
nesting material - google images suggest that this is either a bee or
hornets former home. Not a large settlement, the nest volume is maybe equal
to a tennis ball at most. Still I wouldn't have liked to incur the wrath of
its inhabitants nonetheless.

So I have now fitted the ply facia and hope it will be more appealing to the
local bird population next year.

I had a nest box which blue tits chose in 2006, and I caught 5
fledgelings emerging by placing my camcorder on the dining room window
ledge, and cabling it to a DVD recorder which was left running for hours
when the fledging was due. This determined pair managed to win the
box from a bumble bee which tried to steal it. I got some amusing
footage of BT sparring with bumble bee at the entrance. :-)

The following year the box was deserted after 10 eggs were laid, and in
2008 there were no takers.

In Feb 2009 I put up a box fitted with a camera (ALDI), but no takers,
although a bumble bee buzzed in and out one day and triggered a short
video...
I put a similar box up this year, but although I checked the recorders,
no sign of a bird in the box.
The next move was to take the lower front panel off one box, and hang a
fat snack and place some sunflower seed on the bottom of the box.
This gave me some clips of birds feeding, but having caused them to
notice the box, I have now closed it again and will wait for next year,
hoping for the best. There is a shortage of BTs in this area, but
there was a pair feeding in my garden in Spring...

Extreme patience is required, I'm afraid.... :-)

Thanks for reading

I look forward to hearing your update next Spring...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply