Old 18-10-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Happy Chickens

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in

I am told that as the birds get older they give a smaller egg and fewer

too.
Can we use the oldies for the table and get new young ones? Or have I got
the wrong end of the stick.

Well, you can use them for the table but there will be nothing much in the
way of meat on them. Chickens that are bred for eggs and those who are bred
for meat are totally different these days.

Your old hens, if you get fed up with them not laying as much as you want,
can be used to make nice stock for soup.
Myself, I just let them "geriatric around" when they get old, giving me the
occasional egg, but I have room for that without it making a difference
about getting some young ones.

Tina

Baz