Old 18-10-2010, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bug i.d. please

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
I've ben finding these handsome chaps on the allotment lately. I can't
remember having found them before.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...life/18Oct.jpg

Friend or foe?

Dunno - it looks like a beetle larva, something like a lamellicorn - but
it isn't that beetle, quite.

I'd put them in a box/tin, or better, the bottom half of a plastic milk
bottle, along with some of the soil or detritus they're living in, and see
what they turn into.

I might be tempted to do that, too. They could be almost any beetle larva
but definitely not stag beetle as they live (preferably) in rotting apple
trees and take 7 years to turn into adults.
Tina