Old 18-10-2010, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Happy Chickens

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

That's your own opinion, Pete. Whilst I agree if you rely on egg sales
for your daily bread of course they have be killed and replaced, if you
don't and you wish to keep them after a few years of good production to
give a retirement I think that is perfect.
Unless you don't have room for the new ones, but luckily I do. If you
don't then you just have to go out there one evening, snatch them off
their perch when they are going to bed (best time, so as not to upset
them) and break their necks.

Well --

even if you are not relying on egg sales for your daily bread, it makes
little sense in keeping unproductive birds.
If you reclassify them as pets - then its up to you- still a waste of feed
that could be put in to producing eggs.

It not a lot to do with "daily bread" - just simple economics !

Pete