Old 19-10-2010, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Favourite GYO

wrote in
:

I've been having a think, and I've definitely come up with one single
item that I would /really/ miss if I couldn't grow it myself. There
were a few that I would miss cos they Just Aren't the Same from the
supermarket, and there are some where we just grow them for
fun/easy/something to do.

Ones I could easily replace with supermarket-grown:
* onions
* butternut squash
* potatoes
* courgettes
* runner beans
* leaks
* redcurrants

Ones that are nicer home grown, but a bit of a pain to grow:
* sweetcorn
* peas
* french beans
* raspberries
* cherries

Ones I would miss if I could only supermarket them:
* strawberries (a close second place)
* all other tomatoes not in 1st place

Absolutely essential GYO item:
* Gardeners Delight tomatoes

Anyone else want to offer up their favourites? (I'm bound to have
forgotten something!)

I could not go with that , apart from onions and other alum.
Its possibly a mental thing with us, but we much enjoy our home grown
anything rather than shop bought.

New peas, broad beans and new potatoes will always be in the home list.
Sweetcorn has to be high too,
Runner beans, oh how can you?

Dont tell Pete about the leaks!

Tomatoes and strawberries are always, always absolutely the number 1. and
are essential but broad beans are......

Nice thread, made us all think a bit.

Baz