Old 20-10-2010, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Frost! and general garden blog

Steve Peek wrote:
We've had frost here in the southern Appalachians for the last few
nights. The summer garden is gone, the okra, peppers, eggplant, and
tomatoes look so sad. The sweet potatoes looked scorched over a week
ago. This summers crop was one of my best ever. 23 sweet potato
plants survived and produced just over 3 bushels, the largest being 7
pounds 1 ounce. Squash, tomatoes, peppers were bountiful. Green beans
and edamame were only fair. Weeds were especially abundant due to the
2 truckloads of horse manure I think. The fall garden is now in its'
glory. The Florida broadleaf mustard is just amazing, the leaves on
some are 2 feet long and over a foot wide. The stems are as big as my
thumb and still tender. The turnips are the size of tennis balls and
very sweet. Carrots, collards and spinach will soon be ready. I was
gifted about 25 pounds of chestnuts, my hives gave me about 40 pounds
of honey. My fledgling blueberry enterprise produced almost 30
gallons. The cider making crew will be here on Saturday. Life is
good!
Sorry, don't mean to brag, I'm just feeling good about my endeavors
this year.

Seems fair to me.

I hope your year was at least as good as mine,

Steve

Yes but with seasons reversed, I am pulling the last cabbages etc to make
room to plant tomato seedlings.

David