Old 20-10-2010, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Frost! and general garden blog

"Derald" wrote in message
m...

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Yes but with seasons reversed, I am pulling the last cabbages etc to make
room to plant tomato seedlings.

And my first winter cabbages are just emerging, the turnips and
mustard greens and "English" peas are a few inches tall. Overnight
lows in high 40s to mid-50s (7-12?) portend the end to the tomatoes,
cukes, basil to be replaced by more peas! Bulbing onions and garlic go
in this month, too. Root knot so debilitated this year's eggplants
(aubergine) and bell peppers that I uprooted them early this year.
Definitely gonna try some of those cannibalistic nematodes!
I'm in west-central Florida, USA. Although we're having a taste
of autumn, plenty of hot weather remains in store.

OT Aside: Did you settle on a "most droolworthy" melon for this
season?
--
Derald

I can't grow melons in my present location. I have cucumber beetles by the
millions and all the disease they carry. Years ago Yellow Doll watermelon
and Ambrosia cantaloupe were favorites.