Old 20-10-2010, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Favourite GYO

Bill Grey wrote:
Not having a vegetable garden exept for a 5' x 5' raised bed specifically
created for runner beans, I had zero success this year. Not one bean
germinated :-( last year I planted young plants and had a good crop.

Oh no! I wonder why that is? We had a good rate of germination, and
they're still flowering and being pollinated even now, with insect drop off
due to the cold.

This year I planted french marigolds (the greenhouse was absolutely
overflowing with them!) under my beans, which may have helped. If you send
me your address I can send you some saved seeds once the greenhouse ones dry
up (assuming they don't all go mouldy, as it's getting a bit damp in there!)

Not even looking at the other crops, I definitely miss my runner beans.
BTW, they were in TESCO for ?1.50 .....for just 19 beans(pods that is)

Yeah, my neighbour (whose greenhouse I've taken over) said they were
expensive. In fact, I think she said 5 for 1.50! So you got a bargain for
19. But that was much earlier in the season.

I suppose I would miss my beans if I didn't get them, but I like runner
beans for their prettyness, rather than their crop. I much prefer the
French or borlotti beans for general cooking. But it's nice just being able
to grab a handful of baby runner beans (supermarket ones are always too
big!) and throw them in the pan for a couple of minutes.

Ok, I take it back, I'll keep my runners. :-)