Old 22-10-2010, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Irondale Irondale is offline

Default Angel Plant

"
My angel plant grew fast and tall this summer.
The came autumn and the change of weather.
From all that I've read, this plant can be left outside
(WA state Zone 8-9) during the winter... or it
should be brought in doors to keep the cold away.

I have this plant in a big pot and decided I didn't want
risk the weather and so brought it into the house.
Leaves
were dropping everywhere even though I had put it in a
place where it rec'd plenty of light and steady
temperature.

Back outside it goes and the shedding stopped. Then the
freeze and now the plant looks ugh.

Will it grow back come Spring time? It's about 4 feet
tall
so I don't want to lose it. It grew that much in one
spring/
summer.

I do have the pot insulated.

Any experience out there when it comes to Angel Plants?

TIA

Donna

Assuming you are referring to Brugmansias, they often will
die back to
the ground even following a light frost, but in your
locale should
regrow vigorously in the spring if the roots are protected
from
freezing. I have had a few brugs freeze to the ground
but regrow here
in zone 7b as long as I heavily mulched over the root
crowns and
uncovered them after frost danger has passed in the
spring.

I've read that they will die back and then rebound in the
spring/summer.
It was so healthy and full of leaves that I'm hoping I
didn't kill it.
I think it belongs in the Bignoniaceae family. Its flowers
grow to
4-6 inches. I bought this from Michigan Bulb and while it
didn't
arrive happy it grew fast - almost 5 feet. Needs water
constantly.
It's not really a vine but has strong trucks from which the
leaves
and hopefully flowers grow. This 3 in 1 Angel Trumpet
supposedly
had white, yellow and pink flowers as it's 3 different
plants in one
pot.

The freeze was only top surface and so the roots are fine.
I have
some plants heavily muched and they do make it thru the
winter.
In my area, we used to get weeks of nothing but freezing or
below
weather come fall/winter. But that doesn't happen any
longer. I
can now even mow my small lawn thru out all four seasons.
ugha

I truly have no place in my gardens (flowers and fruit) so
that's
why this plant went into a pot....so planting it is not an
obtion.

Thanks for all the input. Guess it's pretty much a wait and
see
game.

Donna