Old 23-10-2010, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default overwintering a 'standard fuchsia'

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:42:40 +0100, "dido22"
wrote:

Hello

I am growing a fuchsia, 'Dark Eyes' which I hope will become a 'standard
fuchsia' in a few years time. I started it in the early summer, in a 12"
pot, and have trained it by cutting off the lower branches as it has grown.
I think it doing quite nicely so far.

My question, how should I keep it over winter. I believe it is 'hardy'. I
could keep it in my (unheated) g'house, or just leave it outside in a
sheltered spot. If I keep it in the g'house should I water it ? The g'house
can get quite warm when the sun is out.

My instinct is that it needs to have a long rest over winter.

Advice please

First of all, however hardy a fuchsia variety is, a standard of that
variety will not be hardy. If you leave it outside, the growing tip -
which is above ground - may be killed off by frost and the plant could
reshoot from the base again and you end up with a bush instead of a
standard.

Aim to keep it at a minimum of 5 degrees C. If your greenhouse gets
warmer it shouldn't hurt but don't let it get colder. A light trim now
won't go amiss - it'll help the plant to retain a good shape next
year. Don't overwater it - aim to keep the compost barely moist - just
to keep the plant ticking over through the winter. In the spring when
it hopefully starts to shoot, replace the top inch or two of compost
and increase the watering. Don't forget to pinch out the early growth
to promote more side shoots and hopefully a good head next year.

Good luck