Old 23-10-2010, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Hutson Alan Hutson is offline

Default overwintering a 'standard fuchsia'

"dido22" wrote in message
Hello

I am growing a fuchsia, 'Dark Eyes' which I hope will become a 'standard
fuchsia' in a few years time. I started it in the early summer, in a 12"
pot, and have trained it by cutting off the lower branches as it has
grown. I think it doing quite nicely so far.

My question, how should I keep it over winter. I believe it is 'hardy'. I
could keep it in my (unheated) g'house, or just leave it outside in a
sheltered spot. If I keep it in the g'house should I water it ? The
g'house can get quite warm when the sun is out.

My instinct is that it needs to have a long rest over winter.

Advice please

I'm a new boy at standards too so I've also at the same stage. I have had
advice that protecting the trunk with the foam stuff that is used to protect
water pipes might be worthwhile.

I have also been given advice to give minimum water and use fleece as
required.

I'm also going to ensure that the base of the pot is well insulated from
greenhouse bench by standing on polystyrene offcuts.

I'm also intending to build up cover on the roots of outdoor fuschias in
beds by encirling them in lawn edging and filling in with coarse sand. I'm
just going to do some so that I can evaluate.

Alan