Old 24-10-2010, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default Petrol mower overwintering help

Mark Heptonstal wrote:
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help us avoid some trauma next year!

For the first time, we've invested in a petrol mower (mountfield) and
strimmer (ryobi) - 4 stroke and 2 stroke respectively. As it's coming
to winter, is there Anything special needs doing to these to prepare
them for a long period of no use. Do I run the mower till it runs
out
of fuel? Should there be a fuel drain somewhere?

Any help or ideas that will ensure they start next year would be
greatfully appreciated.

Regards,

mark&victoria

Read the owners manual. I think it goes like this, NOT positive for
winter storage.
Two countries separated by a common language
Assuming "petrol" is the same as "gasoline"

if the machine uses gasoline only, I keep the tank full. Gasoline should
act as protective coating to keep the gas tank from rusting. Most lawn
mowers are gas only. An oil change with fresh oil may also help it start
easier in the spring. I change my oil and air filters in the spring, but
may not be best for winter storage. One should sharpen and oil the
blades to keep from the blades from rusting.

If the machine uses a mixture of gas and oil, drain or run the machine
until it runs out. Most string trimmers use oil/gas mixture. The oil/gas
mixture can gunk up the machine and make it hard to start in the spring.

Some machines have a drain plug some do not. I use a simple hand pump
drain tool, about $10 US for changing the oil. I use a dremel power tool
$100 with a blade sharpener.

My line trimmer is gas only, my chain saws are oil/gas. My lawn mower is
a commercial mower that cost as much as a small car, I take that in each
year for a turn up in the spring. My lawn is around six acres. Some
people also have their small powered lawn equipment professionally taken
in for service each spring.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)