Old 24-10-2010, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Petrol mower overwintering help

On 10/24/2010 3:44 AM, Mark Heptonstal wrote:
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help us avoid some trauma next year!

For the first time, we've invested in a petrol mower (mountfield) and a
strimmer (ryobi) - 4 stroke and 2 stroke respectively. As it's coming
to winter, is there Anything special needs doing to these to prepare
them for a long period of no use. Do I run the mower till it runs out
of fuel? Should there be a fuel drain somewhere?

Any help or ideas that will ensure they start next year would be
greatfully appreciated.

Regards,

mark&victoria

Usually best to run dry. My Honda 4 stroke mower has a fuel shut off
valve so I can leave tank full but run carburetor dry. Two stroke
string trimmer seems OK to leave gas in but I do drain my 2 stroke chain
saw. There are gas stabilizers and they may or may not help as if gas
evaporates in carburetor it may leave gunk. I had this problem with my
4 stroke snow thrower and now store dry.