Old 24-10-2010, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Petrol mower overwintering help

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 07:44:26 +0000, Mark Heptonstal
wrote:

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help us avoid some trauma next year!

For the first time, we've invested in a petrol mower (mountfield) and a
strimmer (ryobi) - 4 stroke and 2 stroke respectively. As it's coming
to winter, is there Anything special needs doing to these to prepare
them for a long period of no use. Do I run the mower till it runs out
of fuel? Should there be a fuel drain somewhere?

Any help or ideas that will ensure they start next year would be
greatfully appreciated.

Besides running till fuel empties replace spark plug and air filter.
Place a spoonful of engine oil into the cylinder and crank a few
times... leave spark plug wire disconnected over winter. Some air
filters are washable foam and then should be lightly coated with clean
engine oil. Naturally clean mower exterior well especially the
underside. I recommend a new blade rather than sharpening; after a
season of mowing the blade will become bowed and the metal fatigued,
and it's impossible to properly correct an imbalanced/bowed blade...
it will damage your motor and is dangerous to life and limb... mower
blades are cheap. Remove wheels, clean and relube bearings.

There are many web sites, search lawn mower winterizing.

http://www.ehow.com/how_10815_winterize-power-lawn.html