Old 24-10-2010, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default Petrol mower overwintering help

"Don Phillipson" writes:

"Mark Heptonstal" wrote in
message ...

I was hoping someone could help us avoid some trauma next year!

For the first time, we've invested in a petrol mower (mountfield) and a
strimmer (ryobi) - 4 stroke and 2 stroke respectively. As it's coming
to winter, is there Anything special needs doing to these to prepare
them for a long period of no use. Do I run the mower till it runs out
of fuel? Should there be a fuel drain somewhere?

Here in N.America the idle winter period lasts 5-6 months. We:
1. Run these motors until dry. This is mainly to avoid petrol
additives gumming up the carburettor during the winter.
2. Remove spark plug, add a few drops of motor oil and
pull the starter gently to lubricate piston and crank.
3. Drain the sump of 4-stroke motors.

Here in New England I've been doing nothing.
2 stroke, 4 stroke, it doesn't matter.
Just don't try to mow the snow.