Old 24-10-2010, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Glyphosphate!

Pam Moore wrote:
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 11:32:50 +0100, "Pete"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Why buy it now? The weather is already too cold for it to have a full
effect - applied at this time of year is a waste

Many of the more stubborn weeds inc. Japanese Knotweed are considered to
be more likely to be affected by poison if sprayed as they are winding
down for the year as they take the stuff into the roots.
But in September, not now. Now is surely too late.

Probably.

I have always considered that the take up would be more effective on most
stuff, when it is growing
at it's most vigorous - late spring to early summer.

"THEY" say that the plant draws the poison down into its roots at the
end of the season.

*THEY* may be right, but my course of action would be to spray as soon
as there is leaf, leave it standing for ten days, cut it down and repeat
until autumn, then spray and leave the growth standing until it is good
and dead.

Repeat the following year if necessary.

'm just about to pick some nettle tops which have reappeared after most
of the roots were pulled-up. Glad I didn't spray them (as intended) 'cos
I do like nettles as a veg.

--
Rusty