Old 25-10-2010, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Petrol mower overwintering help

On Oct 24, 6:03*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
*"Don Phillipson" writes:

Here in N.America the idle winter period lasts 5-6 months. We:
1. *Run these motors until dry. *This is mainly to avoid petrol
additives gumming up the carburettor during the winter.
2. *Remove spark plug, add a few drops of motor oil and
pull the starter gently to lubricate piston and crank.
3. *Drain the sump of 4-stroke motors.

wrote in ...
Here in New England I've been doing nothing.
2 stroke, 4 stroke, it doesn't matter.

Agreed, for certain brands it doesn't matter: *but it is important
for some: *and few homeowners know in October whether their
mower will start in April or not.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Why running dry is best general advice along with winterizing with a
little oil in the cylinder.
Some people never do anything and never have a problem.
Also advise starting your mower maybe a month before it will be first
needed.
If you wait until grass needs to be cut and your mower does not start
and needs shop repair, you can bet that your's will be in a long line
at the shop and may take weeks to get to. Same applies to snow
throwers and generators.