Old 25-10-2010, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pyrus whatthehellisit?

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
In a Norwich soliitor's car park I saw a tree - bushy/small tree
growth, about eight feet high (At present), with long (entire) leaves
which resemble olive leaves in their pubescent pastel effect, though
they were slightly narrower than the olive's.

The fruit is a small pear - around the size of a crab apple, almost
spherical with only a little tapering into the stalk.

Sort of medlar? I asked myself. Nope. The calyx was much too small.
No-one in the office knew, so I took a few pears home.

They retted like a medlar rather than ripened, and the pips had a
quincey look to them. The flesh was pleasantly flavoured (when retted),
but it was littered with gritty nodules which suggested that the tree
was never much use for its fruit.

Anyone any idea what it might be?

Do you know Pyrus salicifolia?

Size and foliage does seem to match Elaeagnus angustifolia, as mentioned
elsethread, but if I've put the right name to the right plant the fruits
of this are smaller, not pyriform, and not a pome.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley