Old 25-10-2010, 10:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default OT The Murray-Darling Basin Plan

I don't really think this is OT but I have labelled it as such in case.
Many aspects of the future of this country are tied up in this - not the
least of which is whether or not the ratbags in Canberra can ever put aside
party politics to get on with actually governing.

Here is the executive summary

http://www.thebasinplan.mdba.gov.au/...cutive-summary

One point to note about the process, as opposed to the content, is that both
Parties voted for the Water Act of 2007 that specifies what the Commission
must do. So any polly who now says the Commission is not doing what they
should be doing is either ignorant or a liar or both. Similarly any who say
there is a solution that will make everybody happy should go back on to
their medication and preferably resign public office.

I feel confident that we will now see a rush of populism as those who need
to shore up shaky numbers will snatch some headlines by taking the part of
the irrigators who are currently feeling pain whether or not it is in the
irrigators' or the nation's long term interest to do so.

David