Old 25-10-2010, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Glyphosphate!

Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/10/2010 12:11, Rusty Hinge wrote:

What I want is a *BIG* container - six feet across or more, so I can
grow ground elder without it spreading everywhere.

Do you have gout or something? It sets seed so you have to be a bit
careful. I have some that self seeded into a trough ~3'x2' I didn't spot
in time and it is going to require the whole lot emptied to get rid of
it. Too much risk of collateral damage to kill the GE in situ.

I use it as a green vegetable and chopped-up, as added flavour in
casseroles.

Fat hen and other goosefoot leaves/tops, nettles and very young hogweed
shoots all make excellent tasty fodder. (For me)

GE is shallow rooted I suspect that 18" paving slabs or slates on end
would be enough to contain it.

You reckon? I'd lay a pound to a penny that it would find a way through.
Some in my garden has 'leaked' under a concrete path.

I generally remove the flower heads of the stuff which has invaded.

On my clay soil it is a bit of a nuisance
but is killed by repeated close mowing or chemicals. I have an endless
supply of the stuff in the adjacent field.

And another one six feet deep so I can grow horseradish without it
digging its toes in for evermore...

Not sure I would invite that into my garden.

I have it in a big builder's tub, but it isn't happy with the two foot
depth of it. Considering a dustbin if I can't find anything deeper.

--
Rusty